Wednesday, January 19, 2011

All in a days work... sort of

Getting into the real estate gig has been a fun challenge. Coming from a much more casual work atmosphere in the past, I thought I'd share some of the 'behind the scenes' of a real estate agent.

1. Wearing 'professional casual' clothes. Seems simple: no jeans. It seems there is a fine line to getting real estate 'ready' for the day. I always have to think about what I have on tap for the day. Am I seeing clients? I am just stopping in at the office? do I have a meeting with the 'big wigs'? Not to mention my 'professional' repertoire is very limited so it requires a lot of mixing/matching.

2. Getting to the office requires some preparation. Computer: check. MLS card/token: check. Notes from previous days phone calls: check. Snack: check. Sweater when AC is blasting: check.

3. Arrival to office: say hi to everyone. Manager, other agents- usually 5-6, receptionist. Pretty much now need to know everyone on a first name basis. Lucky for me I have a good name memory!

4. Get to work: call prospective buyers back. Research some home sales for prospective clients/listings. Get a few general questions answered from manager. Do more research on how to gain clients.

5. Attend or host open houses. These are the most fun so far. I get to talk to complete strangers about their biggest investment they probably will make or have ever made. Not to mention I get to talk about 'home' amenities and other comparable properties on the market. It feels like I am a personal shopper for a home buyer. So much fun!

Other then the list above the behind the scenes is a lot of computer time at home. Which is very comfortable of course- it can be done in sweats with a hot cup of coffee!


No comments:

Post a Comment